Losing control of your vehicle, being hit by a negligent driver who totals your car, and hearing the sound of crunching metal all contribute to car accident post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). You’ve been through something frightening, and if you don’t have obvious injuries, you’re probably grateful you didn’t have to be hospitalized.
But the after effects of auto accidents are tricky. If you are severely jolted within your vehicle, forward, backward, or sideways, you may not feel pain until days after. So assuming you’re uninjured isn’t correct. And if you suffer an injury due to impact, those, too, can take time to emerge fully.
Dr. Apurva Dalal is an esteemed board-certified orthopedic surgeon who has built his practice around the diverse needs of his patients. He has helped many auto accident victims regain their strength and mobility, even after serious injury.
Tri-State Orthopaedics provides the most sophisticated, yet personalized, care in an intimate and caring environment.
Don’t assume you’re not hurt if you walk away from a car accident
Dr. Dalal is versed in knowing what to ask and how to evaluate you properly post-accident.
Although it’s easy for Dr. Dalal to diagnose an obvious injury after your accident, such as a fracture, the symptoms of other injuries are often delayed not just by days, but by weeks:
- Back pain
- Bruising due to tendon, ligament, or muscle injury
Complications from whiplash include disc damage and neck pain, and what may seem like a simple headache could be a concussion. Concussion’s after effects, known as post-concussion syndrome, can plague patients for several years with headaches, balance issues, and vision problems.
How can my car accident injuries be treated?
The best way for Dr. Dalal to approach treatment is to evaluate you fully as soon after your car accident as possible. That way he can address your problems initially and continue to observe you and any changes in your symptoms or pain over time.
The services Dr. Dalal provides that address post-accident problems with an expansive range of conservative and surgical treatments, including:
- Imaging tests for evaluation purpose, such as MRIs, CT scans, and X-rays
- Ice and heat therapy, depending on the which is appropriate
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- Fracture treatment may include fitting you for a cast or splint, recommending time in traction, or a surgical solution
- Surgery for shoulder injuries can be open or arthroscopic (done via several small incisions using a thin, flexible camera)
- Rehabilitation exercises and a full range of physical therapy
- Stem cell treatment, an emerging type of regenerative medicine that harnesses your own blood platelets and stem cells to accelerate healing in injured areas
Another reassuring thing is that Dr. Dalal is committed to treating you throughout your entire post-accident journey, and once you’ve recovered, he continues to provide routine care as well.
Don’t delay getting care after a car accident
Because everyone has different physical issues after a traumatic incident like a car collision, it’s critical that you set up an appointment to have Dr. Dalal examine you as soon as possible so you know what you’re dealing with.
Simply call us at either our Germantown or Memphis office or use our convenient online booking tool.